Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Here you will find some of our most frequently asked questions about the Co-Op and Internship program. Don't see your question listed here, or need some more information?

You can email:

Anne Coulby
Co-op and Internship Officer
Tel: 905.721.8668 x5702

Or drop in an visit us in 
ACE 2010B.

General Participation

  • What is Internship?

    Internship work terms are normally 12 or 16 months in length and could start in May, September or January. The extended work term provides an opportunity to take on long-term projects and to integrate fully as a contributing member of a team.

  • What is Co-op?

    The term co-op normally applies to a 3 or 4 month work term, usually served in the summer period between years of undergraduate study. Back-to-back co-ops of 8 months may be served with the same company, or with two separate employers. In a co-op term, a student will acquire an appreciation of company culture and management structure and have the chance to apply academic theory in a practical setting.

    Note: an International student can participate in a 4 month summer co-op after the completion of 2nd year.

  • What Year of Study do I need to be in to participate in an internship?

    Applicants for internship should be completing year three of a four year undergraduate degree, or year four of a five year undergraduate degree.

  • What Year of Study do I need to be in to participate in a co-op placement?

    Applicants for co-op should be completing second year of study as the common time to participate in a co-op placement.  However, full-time students are permitted to apply for co-op from the end of year one as long as they can demonstrate that they meet the eligibility requirements of a cumulative GPA of 2.3 with no core subjects missing.

    A summer four month co-op can be completed after any year of study but you must have completed 2nd year (half the degree length) to have the work time count toward your future PEO licensing.

  • I am a domestic student. Can I do co-op and internship?

    Yes, you can do a co-op after 2nd year and an internship after 3rd year of a four year program or after 4th year of a five year program.  You can graduate with 20 or more months of work experience but only 12 months of pre-graduation experience will count towards your PEO licensing.

  • I am an international student. Can I participate in co-op and internship?

    International students can only participate in a summer co-op due to their work/study VISA requirements.  International students can not participate in an internship.  International students must obtain a Canadian Social Insurance Number (SIN) to work as a summer co-op student.  No additional work visa is required.

  • What GPA level must I have to participate in co-op or internship?

    Students must be in good academic standing with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.3. Full-time students are permitted to apply for the Engineering Co-op and Internship Program from the end of year one as long as they can demonstrate that they meet the eligibility requirements of a cumulative GPA of 2.3 with no core subjects missing.  Successful completion of an internship or co-op results in a transcript notation of Pass/Fail and does not impact a student’s GPA.

    At Ontario Tech, a developmental position would be the only student option if your GPA is below 2.3 and you can not participate as a co-op student.

  • Can I apply to positions that I see advertised outside of the Ontario Tech co-op/internship portal?

    Yes! You are encouraged to seek your own opportunities that best suit their employment interests.  The Engineering Co-Op and Internship Office is available to assist you with contacting new employers to promote the Ontario Tech program.  New internship opportunities will need to be reviewed/approved by the Faculty to ensure the skills do reflect engineering skill development and meet accreditation guidelines.  If it is approved, we will attach that job to the program and the employer will receive the tax credit for hiring a Co-Op/Internship student.

  • If I have already accepted a Co-Op/Internship offer of employment, can I keep applying and interviewing for other positions?

    No.  Once you have accepted one Co-Op or Internship position, you can no longer apply or interview for other positions.  If an employer enquires about your eligibility, we would inform them that you have already taken employment elsewhere.  It is unprofessional and can ruin your reputation with a company if you accept an offer and later reject it for another opportunity.  It can also affect the reputation of the Ontario Tech Engineering Co-Op and Internship program.

  • What if I accept the position but find another position I think I would like better or the salary is higher?

    Once you accept a position, you cannot quit to accept another co-op or internship position.  You would not be able to access the co-op/internship program in the future.  You would damage yours and the school’s reputation with the employer.

  • How do I find my unofficial transcript?

    Many companies will ask for an unofficial transcript during the recruitment process.  This can be found on you MyCampus account.  Simply take screen shots of your transcript and copy and paste them to a word document.  Save this file to send as your unofficial transcript.

  • What if I am stressed and have difficulty performing in the position?

    The Engineering Co-Op and Internship Office is available to discuss any concerns you may have while you are out on co-op or internship. You are still able to access support services at Ontario Tech such as Student Mental Health Services while you are out on your co-op or internship placement.

  • If I begin a work term and it is extended by the employer what happens?

    If your employer requests an extension, and you agree, we require your new offer letter to be submitted to document your new end date. In some cases, you will change from the co-op program to the internship program.  The new end date must be provided in the revised offer letter for future creation of the tax credit letter.

  • Would my work report and final paperwork be due at the end of the extended period?

    Yes, your work report, final questionnaire, PEO form and final evaluation would be due 2 weeks after your revised end date.

  • What if I am fired? This has happened in the past.

    If you are terminated from your position for some reason, you would meet with the Engineering Co-Op and Internship Office to discuss the situation, learn from the experience, and receive necessary supports and training so that a future work experience will be successful.  Discussions would take place to determine if a fail would appear on the transcript or a withdrawal based on the circumstances and faculty decision on outcome. The Engineering Co-Op and Internship Office would connect with the employer as well.

  • Does a co-op/internship factor into my GPA?

    A Pass/Fail appears on the transcript and does not factor into the GPA.  If a professor does give a fail grade for your submitted report, the student has an opportunity to make corrections and resubmit.  This report will be turned into PEO after graduation by the student to use the work time toward the 12 months of pre-graduate work experience that can be used toward the 48 months required to be licensed as a Professional Engineer in Ontario (P.Eng). 

Benefits of Participating

  • What could you gain from participating in a co-op or internship?
    • Gain industry experience in a chosen field
    • Strengthen skills through practical application
    • Enhance your resume through acquisition of relevant technical and employability skills
    • Explore future employment potential
    • Clarify career direction, define employment goals
    • Increase motivation to learn and better understand significance of course material
    • Develop a valuable network, build confidence in interacting with employers
    • Earn money, offset costs of education, reduce debt load
    • Acquire up to 12 months of pre-graduation experience towards the required 48 months for PEO licensing
  • How does it benefit me to have a co-op or internship appear on my transcript?

    Some employers do not recognize a co-op or internship that does not appear on your transcript.  Some employers will set your pay rate based on the number of semesters completed at university and how many co-op terms appear on your transcript.  Students with co-op or internship on their transcript have had their graduate employment salary start at a higher level.

  • Why does an employer want to hire a co-op student?
    • A student available for a 4, 8, 12, or 16 month term will have completed a minimum of 2 years of academic study, thereby obtaining a solid base of theory and technical skills.
    • Students could be assessed by employers for their ability, professionalism and aptitude as potential career employees.
    • Students inject energy, enthusiasm and new ideas into your organization.
    • Employers develop a collaborative relationship with the university and tap into training and research opportunities.
    • Students assist in the management of uninterrupted work flow during periods of vacation or particularly high demand or to be involved in a special project.
    • Employers benefit from tax credits of $3000 per work term for hiring a student.
  • Where can I find information to share with potential employers regarding the CRA tax saving possibility?